Description
Built in 1316 by Pierre de Luyrieu, the château has remained unchanged since its construction, with the exception of the towers, which were restored in the Romantic style after the Revolution. Serge Prokofiev and Henriette d’Angeville stayed there.
This castle is perched on the rock of Montvéran, from where Berold of Saxony drove out the Saracens around the year 1000.
Pierre de Luyrieu built the present castle on this rock in 1316. Apart from some restoration work and a few alterations resulting from the Revolution, the castle has remained unchanged. Its walls have sheltered several illustrious figures: the Constable of Bourbon took refuge there upon his departure from the Kingdom of France; the Serpollet brothers worked there with their father before becoming pioneers of the automobile; Serge Prokofiev chose this setting in 1929, which, according to those close to him, fostered his inspiration; Henriette d’Angeville – who climbed Mont Blanc in 1838 – was among the regular visitors to Montvéran.
