- What are the opening and closing dates of the Grand Colombier roads?
The 4 roads leading to the Grand Colombier are closed during the entire winter period. They are generally closed by the road service of the Ain department from November to the second part of April.
- Is it possible to park at the top of the Grand Colombier?
Yes, except for major events such as the Tour de France, many parking spaces are available at the Col du Grand Colombier.
- Can we access the Grand Colombier with a campervan?
Yes, except for the Tour de France, the Grand Colombier or restrictions apply, the pass is accessible by motorhome the rest of the summer period. It is however strongly advised not to climb the pass from Virieu-le-Petit. The laces of the ascent from Culoz are narrow, we advise long campervans to climb from Anglefort or Lochieu.
- Are there toilets and water points on top of Grand Colombier?
Water being very rare on Grand Colombier, there are no toilets or water points. It is however possible to quench your thirst at the Pause du Grand Colombier, the snack bar settled at the top.
- Is camping allowed on the Grand Colombier ?
Camping is not allowed in the Grand Colombier pastures. As a working area for local farmers and a place of life for the herds of the Grand Colombier mountain pastures, we thank you for respecting these restrictions.
- What kind of walk can be done at the top of the Grand Colombier?
– From the parking lotat the top, it is possible to make a round trip of about twenty minutes to the orientation table located at the foot of the Grand Colombier Cross to enjoy a 360 degree panorama. Several hikes of a few hours are also possible on the crests of the Grand Colombier.
- Are there any restaurants in the Grand Colombier?
– At the top, La Pause du Grand Colombier has snacks, pancakes, etc. The Auberge du Grand Colombier and the Chalet d’Arvières are located on the ascent, on the Culoz and Lochieu (Arvière-en-Valromey) side.
You will also find nearby Ô saisons du Grand Colombier in Virieu-le-Petit (Arvière-en-Valromey), the Séran in Artemare, Au Campagnard Autrement in Culoz and the Auberge de la Paillère in Lavours.
- What accommodations are there on the Grand Colombier?
There is no accommodation at the summit of the Grand Colombier but in the surrounding villages. Find more on our accomodation pages.
- Can I walk my dog on the Grand Colombier?
It is possible to walk with your dog on a leash only because of the presence of herds.
- Is it possible to pick up daffodils on the Grand Colombier?
Picking is allowed, however we thank you for not leaving the marked trails and for limiting your picking to a minimum.